Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Lagos State House of Assembly has approved a 50 percent reduction in pension of Bola Tinubu, Akinwunmi Ambode and all other former governors of the state. The approval was made after the lawmakers considered the report of its committee on establishment.
2. FC Barcelona has officially announced that Lionel Messi will be leaving the club. After a summer of negotiations that did not go well, the club said they reached a point where it became clear that the deal will not be finalised.
3. Suspected bandits yesterday, abducted the father of the Speaker of Zamfara State House of Assembly, Alhaji Nasiru Muazu Magarya. The armed men also kidnapped his stepmother, uncle and four others.
Spokesman of the state police command, SP Muhammad Shehu confirmed the incident.
4. Prince Uche Secondus, National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has warned the leadership of the party against sacking the National Working Committee (NWC). He gave the warning on Thursday during the NWC meeting in Abuja.
5. Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State has said secession is not the way out of the current challenges bedeviling the country. Speaking on Thursday at a public lecture in Abuja, Ganduje said change of heart is a panacea to the challenges affecting the country.
6. Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, yesterday ordered investigation into the violent clash between a joint security task force operating around Borno Geographical Information System (BOGIS) and some worshippers at a church in Maduganari area of Maiduguri. A statement on Thursday by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Communications and Strategy, Mallam Isa Gusau, quoted the governor as condemning the incident.
7. Armed robbers on Thursday afternoon robbed two commercial banks in Ire, Osun State and went away with some amount of money. Osun State Police Command spokesperson, SP Yemisi Opalola confirmed the incident. One person was also killed during the attack.
8. Officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, Ondo State Command have arrested two suspects dealing in Cannabis Sativa, commonly referred to as Indian Hemp. Speaking on the development, the Acting State Commander, Cally Alumona disclosed that the owner of the warehouse is yet to be arrested.
9. No fewer than 35 persons have tested positive for COVID-19 at the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camp in Sagamu, Ogun State. The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Tomi Coker, disclosed this on Thursday while briefing newsmen on the upsurge of the third wave of COVID-19.
10. The Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, has emphasised the need for all tiers of government and all collaborative partners to work together to provide better and fuller lives, as well as decent jobs for Nigerians, especially the youths. He said this Thursday while virtually declaring open, the 20th meeting of the Joint Planning Board and the National Council on Development Planning holding in Maiduguri, Borno State.