Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Central Bank of Nigeria, yesterday, stopped the sales of forex to the Bureau De Change operators in the country with immediate effect. The CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, disclosed this after the Monetary Policy Committee’s two-day meeting in Abuja on Tuesday.
2. A total of 479 people have been killed in the current outbreak of Cholera which has spread to at least 18 states in Nigeria. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) disclosed this in its latest situation report.
3. The Presidency has warned State House staff against the disclosure of classified information to the public. The Permanent Secretary, State House, Tijjani Umar, gave the warning when 42 staff of the presidency were administered with oath of secrecy.
4. The United States has said that A-29 Super Tucanos were sold to Nigeria to strengthen the country’s fight against terrorism. The US’ Chargé d’Affaires Kathleen FitzGibbon said this during the inspection of the newly arrived first six American Sierra Nevada Corporation/Embraer Defense and Security A-29 “Super Tucano” Light Attack aircraft on Tuesday.
5. The Adamawa State Government, on Tuesday, told a Federal High Court, Abuja, that former Vice President Atiku Abubakar is eligible to vie for the office of the president. The Attorney-General of Adamawa, Afraimu Jingi, told Justice Inyang Ekwo while moving a motion on notice, seeking to be joined in the suit filed by a group against Atiku and three others.
6. Unknown gunmen have killed a Chief Superintendent of Police, (CSP) Fatmann Dooiyor, a Divisional Police Officer for Omuma, Governor Hope Uzodimma’s community in Oru East Local Government Area of Imo State. A statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer of Imo, CSP Mike Abattam said six of the gunmen were killed by the police while 11 were arrested.
7. The Katsina State House of Assembly has approved the elevation of Dumurkul, the village of President Muhammadu Buhari, to a district in Daura emirate. This followed a request from the state Governor, Aminu Bello Masari, seeking an approval and the confirmation of the new district.
8. The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Usman Baba on Tuesday ordered the posting and deployment of 24 Assistant Inspectors General of Police (AIGs) to Zonal Commands and formations. The development was contained in a statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, CP Frank Mba.
9. The Lagos State Special Offences Court in Ikeja has adjourned the child molestation case against embattled Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju Omiyinka, aka Baba Ijesha till August 11 and 12. Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo adjourned the matter after Princess was cross-examined by Baba Ijesha’s defence counsel.
10. The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has released the results of 14, 620 candidates for the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) after investigation but withheld those of 93 candidates. JAMB’s Head of Media, Fabian Benjamin stated this in a statement.